National level Indian wrestler Vishal Kumar Verma died after being electrocuted while pumping out water from a flooded Jaipal Singh Stadium in Ranchi on Tuesday. The cause of electrocution was reported to be faulty wiring in the building and the condition was aggravated by the presence of water.
The Jaipal Singh Stadium stands in ruins after persistent monsoons have left it in a dilapidated and inundated state and the problem has worsened after heavy rains in the last few weeks. The indoor stadium also houses the office of the Jharkhand State Wrestling Association (JSWA). Vishal Kumar Verma was pumping out water from the flooded stadium in order to resume practice but with some faulty internal wiring in the building became the cause of the young talent's demise.
Bholanath Singh, the general secretary and coach of the Jharkhand State Wrestling Association, said: "Vishal had stood fourth in the last senior national wrestling championship."
"Preliminary investigation has revealed that death was due to electrocution. Vishal was using a water pump to clear out the water when the incident took place. Faulty wiring seems to be
Ganesh Jha, the general manager of Jharkhand Bijli Vitran Nigam (JBVNL), said: "An executive engineer visited the site and reported that there is no fault in the power connection provided by JBVNL. However, there could be a loose connection in the building's internal electrical wiring."
Predict Tennis, Badminton, Cricket and more games on Nostragamus App!
Play and win up to ₹40,000! Compete against the biggest sports fans in India. Join Now!
Download Nostragamus for FREE and get ₹20 Joining Bonus! Click here to download app on Android.