Ravichandran Ashwin and Wriddhiman Saha scored centuries on day 2 of the third Test against West Indies to take India to a respectable total. On the way, Ashwin scored his fourth century, while Saha went past his maiden ton. Here is a look at the records that were broken during this partnership.
1. Now six Indian batsmen have 4 or more Test 100s vs WI. The other five batsmen have 5 wickets in total and Ravi Ashwin has 189 wickets.
2. First time in their Test cricket history, two Indian batsmen while batting at 6 and 7 have made centuries in the same innings.
3. Most Test 100s vs WI for Ind
13 S Gavaskar
6 D Vengsarkar
5 R Dravid
4 G Viswanath/VVS Laxman/R Ashwin
4. Fewest inns to reach 4th Test 100 vs W Indies
6 K Walters (AUSTRALIA)
8 S Gavaskar (INDIA)
9 R ASHWIN (INDIA)
10 M Yousuf (PAKISTAN)
12 G Smith (SOUTH AFRICA)
5. It was only the 3rd time that two Indians batting at No.6 or lower scored centuries in the same test innings after
6. Wriddhiman Saha - 3rd Indian keeper to score a Test century outside Asia. All the 3 centuries have come in West Indies.
7. Players who have scored two centuries and picked up two 5-wicket hauls in a Test Series: (Ashwin is the third player to score 2 centuries and take 2 five-wicket hauls in an overseas Test series.)
8. Ashwin is overall the ninth spinner and the first Indian spinner to score two 50+ scores and take two five-wicket hauls in a Test series.
9. Ravi Ashwin now joins the elite list of Indians who completed Test century with a six. 13th Indian to do so.
List follows as ( Batsmanv Bowler (Country) - Date of the start of the match , Venue)
Polly Umrigar v Sonny Ramadhin (West Indies) - 21/01/1993, Port of Spain.
Kapil Dev v Norbert Phillip(West Indies) -24/01/1979 , Delhi.
Sachin Tendulkar v Courtney Walsh(West Indies) - 1/12/1994, Nagpur.
Sachin Tendulkar v Min Patel(England) - 6/6/1996, Birmingham.
Mohammad Azharuddin v Waugh (Australia) -18/3/1998, Kolkata.
Sachin Tendulkar v Daniel Vettori (New Zealand) - 26/12/1998, Wellington.
Sachin Tendulkar v Colin Miller (Australia) -18/03/2001, Chennai.
Rahul Dravid v Jason Gillespie (Australia) - 12/12/2003, Adelaide.
Virender Sehwag v Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan) 8/12/2007, Bangalore.
Gautam Gambhir v Shane Watson (Australia) -29/12/2008 , New Delhi.
MS Dhoni v Rangana Hearth (Sri Lanka) - 2/12/2009, Mumbai (Brabourne).
Gautam Gambhir v Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh) - 17/01/2010, Chittagong.
Sachin Tendulkar v Nathan Hauritz (Australia) - 9/10/2010, Bangalore.
Harbhajan Singh v Daniel Vettori (New Zealand) - 4/11/2010, Ahmedabad.
Sachin Tendulkar v Morne Morkel (South Africa) - 2/1/2011, Cape Town.
Rohit Sharma v Marlon Samuels (West Indies) - 14/11/2013, Mumbai (Wankhede).
KL Rahul v Roston Chase (West Indies) - 30/7/2016, Kingston.
Ravichandran Ashwin v Roston Chase (West Indies) - 9/8/2016, Gros Islet.
10. Lowest totals to include two 100s for India (where all 11 had batted):
330 v Aus, Perth, 1977-78
353 v WI, St Lucia, 2016
11. 10 August 2007: Kumble's maiden century vs ENG on Day 2 at The Oval. 10 August 2016: Ashwin's century vs WI on Day 2 at Gros Islet. (The Test in which Kumble scored a century ended in a draw.)
12. 213 runs were added by Ravichandran Ashwin and Wriddhiman Saha for the sixth-wicket, which is India's second-highest in a Test outside India. It is also India's highest sixth-wicket stand against West Indies and fifth-highest against any team.
13. No player other than Ashwin has scored four centuries at No. 6 or lower against West Indies.
14. Last time India's No. 6 and No. 7 both made 50+ in a Test inns was in 2012 vs NZ at Chinnaswamy.
Predict LIVE Cricket Matches happening worldwide today! Play from your mobile anytime, anywhere.
Download NostraGamus here to get ₹20 Joining Bonus FREE!
Predict Matches to Win UNLIMITED PayTM Cash Prizes! Over 4,000 winners daily.