Seven youngsters were dropped without any notice after the BCCI assumed wrong cut-off year for the Youth Asia Cup. The Indian board were left red-faced after they found out that the ACC’s cut-off date for date of birth of the crickets was 1-9-1998, which the BCCI had previously assumed to be 1997.
Last month, the BCCI had announced the squad for the upcoming Youth Asia Cup in Sri Lanka, but seven of those players were dropped from the squad after the BCCI found out that they were ineligible for selection. The U-19 squad was scheduled to attend a preparatory camp in Bangalore on Friday. However, seven of the players were informed on Wednesday that they have been removed from the team.
In a major goof-up, the BCCI had assumed
"It was a major goof-up. Luckily, it came to our notice now. Things could have been worse if we would have come to know about this after the team had landed in Sri Lanka. The selectors were informed and they quickly replaced those seven names," a BCCI official was quoted as saying by The Indian Express.
The players were left heartbroken after getting so close to donning the national jersey. Sandeep Tomar, who was one of those seven players said, "It was a matter of great joy but now I am feeling equally sad. My visa was done, and passport submitted. I was to go Bengaluru tomorrow and join the camp. My mother said, 'Don't worry, if you are lucky, you will get another chance in the future'. But I missed an India cap by just eight days.”
Rishabh, a medium pacer, also expressed similar feelings. He said, "I got a call from the BCCI... It has happened, now what can I say? I was so happy but now am heartbroken."
In the last 5 IND vs SA ODIs, SA was bowled out twice, while IND was bowled out only once.
Will either team be able to bowl their opponent out? Predict on Nostragamus now! Join IND vs SA challenge and win up to ₹40,000.
Download Nostragamus for FREE and get ₹20 Joining Bonus! Click here to download app on Android.