In the latest rankings released by ICC, India still stands at the third position with 117 points just two behind table-toppers South Africa who dropped three points in the recent rankings. But India has a chance to displace the Proteas from the number one spot by winning the Champions Trophy title.
The latest ICC rankings brought great news for Indian fans as Virat Kohli reclaimed the number one spot and Shikhar Dhawan broke into the list of top ten ODI batsmen. The Indian pace attack spearheaded by Bhuvneshwar Kumar also continued to dazzle on the rankings as well.
Following the release, it was concluded that the Men in Blue now stand a chance to become the number one team in the ODIs as South Africa dropped three points to still hold the number one position with 119 points followed by Australia with 117 points who lead India by a fraction at the second place.
However, if India successfully defends the Champions Trophy title they will finish at the top of the team rankings with 119 points leading the Proteas by a fraction of a point to become the number one team in ODIs.
Here is a complete scenario of how will the Champions Trophy matches affect India's rankings:
- If India slump to a defeat against Bangladesh they will finish the tournament with 115 points. England will then have a chance to climb up to the second place if they defeat Bangladesh in the finals of the tournament.
- If India beat arch-rivals Pakistan in the finals the Men in Blue will finish second with 119 points owing to Pakistan's low rank in the ODIs.
- If it loses to Pakistan in the finals it will continue to remain at the number three spot.
- If India beats England in the finals it will become the number one team in ODIs.
- If the Men in Blue lost to the hosts in the final they will continue to remain at the number 3 position.
England can gain two places to finish at the second position but for that to happen India will have to lose against Bangladesh in the semi-finals. Meanwhile, Bangladesh will continue to rein the number 6th spot as the distance between them and fifth-placed New Zealand is 16 points which won't change considerably owing to the results of two matches.