The PCB have suspended fast bowler Mohammad Irfan for violating its anti-corruption code during the recently concluded PSL season where the pacer was approached by bookies. While the 34-year-old acknowledged that he failed to report the approach, he insisted that his 'hands are clean' in the matter.
In a statement released by the PCB, they announced that a notice of
A PCB spokesperson has confirmed the charges by saying, “Irfan has been charged with two violations of Code Article 2.4.4 and now has 14 days to respond to the Notice of Charge.”
The PCB’s anti-corruption code reads, "Failing to disclose to the PCB Vigilance and Security Department (without unnecessary delay) full details of any approaches or invitations received by the Participant to engage in Corrupt Conduct under this Anti-Corruption Code.”
Consequently, Irfan has been suspended from participating in any cricket-related activities, with immediate effect.
In a press release, the PCB had said, “PCB’s investigation will continue with regard to any questionable activity by any player and player support personnel as it carries on with its mission of eliminating the menace of corruption from cricket.” Prior to the statement, Irfan had appeared before an anti-corruption unit and admitted to being contacted by bookies during this year’s PSL.
On Monday, Irfan responded to the PCB’s charges by saying that even though he had been contacted by bookies during this year’s PSL, he was unable to inform the authorities owing to the death of his father.
Waqt News reported Irfan as saying, “I was under a lot of mental pressure after the death of my father. They (bookies) had contacted me but I wasn’t able to inform the authorities on time.” The pacer has also alleged that he is not involved in any corruption scandal by saying, “My hands are clean. I haven’t done anything wrong.”
In a related development, PCB chairman Shahryar Khan said that any cricketer found guilty of corruption should understand that their career is over.
Khan said that Sharjeel Khan and Khalid Latif were suspended from playing cricket as the board had evidence against them."However, we do not have any evidence against Mohammad Irfan and Shahzaib Hasan, which is why we have not suspended them," he had said.