Spanish giants Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have lost their appeals against the two-year transfer bans handed over to them earlier this year. Their bans were lifted temporarily due to pending appeals, but on Thursday, the FIFA has confirmed that the bans cannot be overturned.
Similar to their league rivals, Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Atletico Madrid will now have to go through two whole seasons without signing players after their appeals challenging FIFA's transfer ban were dismissed by the footballing body on Thursday. The FIFA found irregularities in the clubs' signing of foreign under-18 players over the past few transfer windows and sent notices of the bans in early January.
"The FIFA Appeal Committee has decided to reject the appeals lodged by Spanish clubs Atletico de Madrid and Real Madrid and to confirm in their entirety the decisions rendered by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee in the respective cases relating to the protection of minors," FIFA said in their official statement.
Real Madrid were also fined 360,000 Swiss Francs while Atleti were slapped with a fine of 900,000 Swiss Francs following the decision.
Following this decision, Real Madrid have released an official statement calling the FIFA's decision as an “unjust” one.
“The club regrets said decision, understanding it to be deeply unjust and contrary to the fundamental principles of disciplinary law,” the club's official statement read.
The clubs will now appeal against this decision before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). They will request that the decisions be completely overturned.
Swansea vs Liverpool - who will hold higher possession?
Predict EPL matches on Nostragamus now! Join challenges and compete against India's biggest EPL fans. Play and win up to ₹40,000 today!
Predict Matches to Win UNLIMITED PayTM Cash Prizes! Over 4,000 winners daily.