Reports | Pakistani shooters yet to get visa for shooting World Cup

no photo
 |

Getty

Reports | Pakistani shooters yet to get visa for shooting World Cup

no photo

SportsCafe Desk

02/19/2019

In a sudden turn of events on Monday, the approval of visas for Pakistan shooters to travel and participate in the New Delhi World Cup was revoked. The NRAP was informed by the Indian high commission that there was a miscommunication and the visas were not approved but are still under processing.

The NRAI was informed by the Indian high commission that the visas of the Pakistani shooters were cleared and the same was acknowledged by the NRAP too earlier on Monday. Two Pakistan shooters - Muhammad Khalil Akhtar and Ghulam Mustafa Bashir - and their coach Razi Ahmed will participate in the ISSF World Cup Rifle/Pistol tournament in New Delhi from February 20.

"We (NRAI) got a confirmation from the Indian High Commission (Islamabad) that the visas have been granted to the said Pakistani shooters. The National Rifle Association of Pakistan (NRAP), through an email, have acknowledged this in the afternoon that they have got confirmation of getting the visas from the Indian High Commission there," said Rajiv Bhatia, secretary general, the NRAI.

According to a TOI report, a few hours later, the NRAP’s executive vice-president had written a formal mail to the NRAI stating that the visa section of the Indian high commission had revoked the approval stating that it was a miscommunication and that the visas were still under processing. This new development may be attributed as a consequence of the Pulwama Terror Attack. 

"NRAP secretary general, Mr. Razi Ahmad Khan, just now received a telephone call from the visa section of the Indian high commission in Islamabad that the visas of our team members are still under process and cannot be issued today (Monday). Flight of our team is booked for February 20 morning. It seems that we shall not be able to get the visa in Karachi by tomorrow (Tuesday)," read the mail by NRAP's executive vice-president Javaid S Lodhi to the NRAI, reported the TOI.

The NRAP had also grieved that they had submitted all the necessary documents including the Indian home ministry’s sanction letter and the NRAI’s no-objection certificate by December 16 itself to carry ammunition for the World Cup but were unaware what has caused the hesitation and dubiety in granting the Visas.

"We also like to inform you (NRAI) we had earlier received a telephone call from the visa section of the high commission that visas of our team have been approved and will be issued on Monday but, two hours later, we received another call that there was a misunderstanding. This is very unfortunate that despite a very clear policy of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in this regard, our shooting team will be denied the opportunity to participate in the New Delhi World Cup which is an Olympic qualifying event," the mail added.

Cricket FootBall Kabaddi

Basketball Hockey

SportsCafe

SHOW COMMENTS