Former Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli on Friday said that she is “on the road to recovery” after suffering from a mystery virus, which caused a dramatic weight loss. The French star had been barred from playing in an invitational event at Wimbledon after doctors expressed fears over her health.
The 31-year-old had told a British Daytime Television last month about the mystery virus, so rare that doctors have not found a name for it yet and how she has to wear gloves to use even her mobile phone as the virus has precipitated severe electro-sensitivity. Bartoli had lost about 20kgs due to the illness and also pulled out of the women's invitational doubles at the All England Club after her doctors warned her it could be life-threatening.
"I'm on the road to recovery," Bartoli told French radio RTL following three weeks in
I suffered from an infectious virus and with the two combination treatments (in Merano in Italy and in Paris) we were finally able to get my body to start making anti-bodies that allowed the professor to analyse and treat me."
"I suffered from an infectious virus and with the two combination treatments (in Merano in Italy and in Paris) we were finally able to get my body to start making
The French star added that the last three weeks of her life have been the worst in her career.
"I thought I had experienced everything on the tennis court but I can tell you that what I've been through these past three weeks is ten times worse," she said.
"I was on a drip every day; I was fed by a stomach tube ... so it's been a long fight."
"I really went through hell ... I'm on the right track of remission," Bartoli added.