Former World No.1 Rafael Nadal has insisted that the 'forced recovery' ahead of the Rio Olympics has caused him pain since then. In order to recover for the next season, the 30-year-old, who suffered a shock second-round exit at the Shanghai Masters last week, has decided to end his 2016 campaign.
"It is no secret that I arrived at the Olympic Games short of preparation and not fully recovered, but the goal was to compete and win a medal for Spain. This forced recovery has caused me pain since then and now I am forced to stop and start preparing the 2017 season. I am very saddened for not being able to play next week in Basel since I have a great memory of the tournament and the final played against Roger Federer last year. I won’t be able to compete either in Paris-Bercy, where the crowds and the FFT staff have always treated me so well. Now it is time to rest and start preparing intensively the 2017 season," Rafael Nadal wrote on Facebook.
The 14-time Grand Slam winner's season has been hindered by inconsistent form and a wrist injury that put him out of action for three months. Nadal, who is currently the World No.6, joins Roger Federer, who was also forced to end his 2016 season due to injuries, at the sidelines. However, the Spaniard had recently said during the opening of his tennis academy in his hometown of Mallorca that his career is far from over.
"Roger and I haven`t forgotten how to play tennis and we are working to get back to competing at the highest level," Nadal said on Wednesday.
"I still have many years to come in tennis."