Eugenie Bouchard's chances of participating in the 2017 French Open, scheduled to begin next week, have now been jeopardized after the Canadian withdrew from the ongoing Nuremberg Cup due to an ankle injury. The 23-year-old suffered the injury during training sessions last week.
Tournament director Sandra Reichel was informed about the Canadian’s decision on
"She told me she needs a miracle," Reichel said on Tuesday. "She sent for her doctor from Canada." With the 2014 champion ruled out of the tournament, Julio Glushko of Israel took her place in the Nurenberg tournament but was ousted by second-seeded Yulia Putintseva 6-4, 5-7, 6-0.
Bouchard, ranked 56, had a great chance at the French Open considering that she had a good run at the Madrid Open where she lost in the quarterfinals. With major players like Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova, and Victoria Azarenka not participating at Roland Garros either, her chances of making the latter rounds appeared to be good.