The Narsingh Yadav doping issue has intensified with PM Narendra Modi seeking details of the ongoing controversy from Wrestling Federation of India. Meanwhile, Narsingh has called for a CBI probe into the scandal calling it a “conspiracy” against him to anyhow prevent him from going to Rio.
Wrestling has been the discipline that has brought India laurels since the days of Dara Singh, but the sport threatens to engulf India in a doping scandal just ten days ahead of the Rio Olympics after India's entry in the 74kg event, Narsingh Yadav, tested positive for steroids and has been slapped with provisional suspension making his journey to Rio almost impossible. In fact, the 74kg category had seen an intense fight even earlier that spilled onto the court as Narsingh Yadav and Sushil Kumar fought tooth and nail for the lone spot.
The plot has only grown murkier with Narsingh's room-mate also testing positive for the same substance and with the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) throwing its weight behind the wrestler, who has cried 'conspiracy' all over the scandal.
"There should be a CBI inquiry. The whole episode relating to my selection had gone to court. There was a CID report that my life is under threat. All this makes it clear, I have been framed so that I am stopped from going to Rio," Narsingh said.
"I have given my complaint to the federation in which I have made it clear that something could have been mixed in the food that was prepared at the mess. It is a conspiracy against me," he added.
I am hopeful that everything will be clear soon. I have got the 100 per cent backing of everyone. I am still hopeful of going to Rio.
It is learnt that Narsingh has submitted a written complaint to the WFI pointing to a certain Sports Authority of India (SAI) official as being involved in the sabotage.
"Narsingh Yadav has submitted a written complaint to the WFI on July 19, in which he has mentioned name of one SAI official and also made allegations against a few other people, including players," WFI President Brij Saran Singh told reporters here.
Narsingh and President Brij Singh also talked about how they had ignored previous warnings about a conspiracy.
After Haryana police gave a report that Narsingh is in danger, SAI DG personally requested Narsingh not to go to Sonepat and practice somewhere else. But he refused, saying that the chief coach, foreign coach and other Rio probables are there. And he would also get sparring partners easily.
"I feel DG SAI was right in giving him a warning. But since nothing like this had ever happened earlier, we also did not take the warning too seriously," admitted Singh.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Modi met the WFI President to take note of the status in the case which has caught widespread attention and threatens to smear India's largest-ever bid at the Olympics.
In another development, Sushil Kumar has taken to Twitter calling the entire event “unfortunate”. The wrestler also said that he will support his fellow wrestlers always.
very unfortunate 2 see the Wrestling go through this. I hv given my life to ot— Sushil Kumar (@WrestlerSushil) July 25, 2016
& wl always support fellow wrestlers pic.twitter.com/CUsbIGf8Gb