user tracker image

BBL 2020-21 | Working with Cricket Australia to find Yuvraj Singh a BBL franchise, confirms Jason Warne

no photo
camera iconcamera icon|

Yuvraj Singh last turned up for MI in the IPL

Getty

BBL 2020-21 | Working with Cricket Australia to find Yuvraj Singh a BBL franchise, confirms Jason Warne

no photo

SportsCafe Desk

09/08/2020

Yuvraj Singh’s manager Jason Warne has confirmed that he is working with Cricket Australia to find the all-rounder a franchise for the 2020 edition of the Big Bash League. Earlier, Shane Watson too admitted that an injection of Indian players would positively boost and elevate the league.

Since the start of the Big Bash League, the tournament has always been criticised for overly working on the gimmicks and neglecting cricketing quality. However, part of that reason is their inability to convince the BCCI to allow its players to be part of the tournament. The BCCI too has been strict about allowing its players to participate in foreign leagues, with the controversy blowing out this year. 

Since then, the Indian cricketing board has remained firm on its decision, only allowing players who have announced their retirement from all forms of international cricket to participate in foreign leagues. The first player to come out of this as a process was the 48-year-old Pravin Tambe, who turned up for CPL side Trinbago Knight Riders this season. Next-in-line as per reports is Yuvraj Singh, who’s manager Jason Warne of W Sports & Media has confirmed that he is working with Cricket Australia to find the all-rounder a BBL franchise.

"We're working with CA to try to find him a home," Warne said on Monday, reported the Australian publication, ‘The Age.’ 

Earlier this season, former Australian all-rounder Shane Watson too was of the same opinion that the Indian players would only positively boost the tournament and elevate its status. He admitted that it would be an ideal situation for the Indian players to participate in the tournament. 

Several Indian cricketers in the past have criticised the BCCI for not allowing these players to take part in the foreign leagues. However, post-Tambe’s efforts to play in the CPL, it is yet to be seen if the other retired Indian players would take such stance to bolster their chances of being picked by other franchises around the world.   

"There is a chance but no Indian players have been able to be released in the past to come and play at the [other] T20 tournaments so that's a big hurdle," Watson said from Dubai, reported The Age. 

"It would be incredible for them to be able to play in these tournaments. That is the ideal situation. There are so many world-class T20 players in India that aren't playing for India that could be potentially available to play in the Big Bash and other tournaments around the world. If that's able to happen, that would make a massive difference.”

Follow us on Facebook here

Stay connected with us on Twitter here

Like and share our Instagram page here

SHOW COMMENTS drop down