After an ICC Video conference on Friday, it was confirmed that India will have the hosting rights for the 2021 ICC T20 World Cup while Australia will host the next edition in 2022. Meanwhile, it was also decided that the next 50-over Women’s World Cup has been postponed until 2022.
The ICC Board met for the second time in three weeks to finalise their plans for the upcoming World events and it has emerged that the ICC confirmed India as the host for the 2021 edition while Australia will have the 2022 hosting rights. Originally, the 2020 edition was postponed due to the prevailing Coronavirus pandemic which created a massive logistics issue for Cricket Australia. Meanwhile, it has also been confirmed that India, as planned, will be the host for the 2023 50-Over World Cup.
"We now have absolute clarity on the future of ICC events enabling all of our Members to focus on the rescheduling of lost international and domestic cricket. We will now proceed as planned with the Men's T20 World Cup 2021 in India and host the 2022 edition in Australia," ICC Chief Executive Manu Sawhney said.
There had been a conflicting scenario after the 2020 T20 World Cup had been postponed and although the ICC had announced that there would be two T20 Cups in 2021 and 2022, even the host boards were in doubt who would get which edition. Now, after ICC Business Corporation met in a virtual conference, the vital decision came through.
Although from the women’s cricketing front, there was a lot of positivity considering host New Zealand are in much better placed as far as the community transmission of the virus goes, the logistics of travel and Quarantine would have been a big issue for which it was decided that the edition will be pushed to 2022 to have sufficient time for preparation.
"We have taken the decision to move the ICC Women's Cricket World Cup to give players from every competing nation, the best opportunity to be ready for the world's biggest stage and there is still a global qualifier to complete to decide the final three teams," Sawhney said.
"There has been no women's international cricket played since the conclusion of the ICC Women's T20 World Cup earlier this year and due to the varying impact of COVID-19 globally that is likely to remain the situation for a number of the teams. Moving the event by 12 months gives all competing teams the chance to play a sufficient level of cricket ahead of both the qualification event and leading into a Cricket World Cup so the integrity of the tournament is maintained," he added.