user tracker image

Sultan Azlan Shah Cup 2017| Indian men overcome Kiwis with ease

no photo
camera iconcamera icon|

Hockey India

Sultan Azlan Shah Cup 2017| Indian men overcome Kiwis with ease

no photo

SportsCafe Desk


India had squandered their lead against the Great Britain yesterday, but today they kept the New Zealand side at bay in some style. India took a 2-0 lead by half-time and romped home to a 3-0 victory over the Kiwis thanks to goals from Mandeep Singh and Harmanpreet Singh.

First Quarter:

The Kiwis started on the offence and managed to win a penalty corner 5 minutes into the first quarter. Their attempt was on target but they were denied valiantly by the Indian captain and goalie Sreejesh. This was the only attempt made in the first quarter which ended with the scoreline of India 0-0 New Zealand.

Second Quarter:

India dominated the second half with their brilliant play. Although the New Zealand side did create some chances at the beginning of the quarter they failed to convert it to goals. On the other hand, the Indian side did capitalise on a chance at their end when Mandeep Singh deflected a bouncing ball beyond the goal line and got the lead for India in the 24th minute. Soon after the goal, India won their first penalty corner of the match and unlike their opposition successfully converted it into a goal. Harmanpreet Singh did the honour of slamming the ball in through the penalty corner. This was not the end of the great plays from India who won two more penalty corners but failed to convert it to goals. The quarter ended with the scoreline of India 2-0 New Zealand.

Third Quarter:

India's comfortable lead did not stop them from attacking the New Zealand goal but the Indian side was unable to convert those chances into goals. The New Zealand side did not make any spectacular effort to equalise or overcome the Indian side and ended the quarter with the same scoreline of India 2-0 New Zealand.

Fourth Quarter:

India continued on their attacking front in the 4th quarter and won a penalty corner 2 minutes into the fourth quarter which was successfully converted by Harmanpreet Singh into India's 3rd goal and his 2nd for the match. The Indian side continued on the offence and won two more penalty corners. The New Zealand goalie Devon Manchester denied India their 4th goal in the 50th minute when Harmanpreet Singh once again brought his drag flick into play. The fourth quarter and the match ended with the scoreline of India 3-0 New Zealand. 

Follow us on Facebook here

Stay connected with us on Twitter here

Like and share our Instagram page here