Geoffrey Boycott has ‘unreservedly’ apologized for his racial jibe on former West Indian greats saying that he has the utmost respect for West Indian players. The 76-year-old Englishman had earlier stirred up a controversy by saying that he would have to ‘black his face’ in order to be knighted.
As a part of a Q/A session during a break in play on the final day of the first Test between England and West Indies at Edgbaston on Saturday, the former England opener said that knighthoods were handed out like “confetti” to West Indies greats. The 76-year-old also told Sky Sports, “Mine’s been turned down twice. I’d better
Boycott’s comments didn’t go down to well as a source revealed, “It was a crass comment. It was intended to get a laugh but it went down like a lead balloon. People were offended.” reported Mirror.
“Is Boycott suggesting these great West Indians got knighthoods merely because of the
Following the reaction, Boycott took to Twitter and in a series of tweets apologized for his statement saying,
Tweet 1 of 3: Speaking at an informal gathering I was asked a question and I realise my answer was unacceptable...— Geoffrey Boycott (@GeoffreyBoycott) August 22, 2017
Tweet 2/3: I meant no offence but what I said was clearly wrong and I apologise unreservedly..— Geoffrey Boycott (@GeoffreyBoycott) August 22, 2017
Tweet 3/3: I have loved West Indian cricket my whole life and have the utmost respect for its players.— Geoffrey Boycott (@GeoffreyBoycott) August 22, 2017
England won the first Test by an innings and 209 runs in which West Indies lost an unprecedented 19 wickets in a single day.
In the last 5 IND vs SA ODIs, SA was bowled out twice, while IND was bowled out only once.
Will either team be able to bowl their opponent out? Predict on Nostragamus now! Join IND vs SA challenge and win up to ₹40,000.
Download Nostragamus for FREE and get ₹20 Joining Bonus! Click here to download app on Android.