Josh Hazlewood has expressed his dissatisfaction for not being able to make his cut for the ICC Cricket World Cup even though Jhye Richardson was injured. Hazlewood has further added that he is still expecting to be picked for the mega event if someone gets injured mid-way of the tournament.
Hazlewood was the world's top-ranked ODI bowler in 2017 and a part of Australia's 2015 World Cup triumph, but a regular influx of injuries and sudden loss of form resulted in the 15-man squad being out of the World Cup squad this year. Cricket Australia also doubled down on that snub last week, calling up Kane Richardson when Jhye Richardson missed out from the World Cup squad with a dislocated shoulder and was forced to withdraw from the tournament in England, which starts on May 30.
As per a report on the Sydney Morning Herald, the right-armer proved his fitness by troubling captain Aaron Finch and other teammates in the nets during a training camp in Brisbane. However, he still is in shock for the snub and expressed his disappointment for the same.
"It was obviously bitterly disappointing. It only comes around every four years. I was lucky enough to experience it on home soil last time. It'll probably hit me a bit once the tournament starts and you're watching on TV. It's pretty hard. It's not just a normal ODI series, it's a World Cup. Not playing cricket for four months went against me. I can see their side of things.” Hazlewood told AAP.
Although Hazlewood has played his last ODI in November but has now been included in the Australia A squad that will tour England before the Ashes with the first 50-over game on June 20. If any injury concern happens for Australia, Hazlewood would be in the same country.
"I guess if someone went down halfway through the tournament then my chances would be a bit better (compared to last week). You never know," Hazlewood said.
Cricket FootBall Kabaddi