Usain Bolt says he has no plans to carry on after current season

no photo
 |

Getty Images

Usain Bolt says he has no plans to carry on after current season

no photo

SportsCafe Desk

06/27/2017

Usain Bolt has insisted that the current season will be his last as he calls an end to a career that has been a shining light in athletics amidst doping scandals. The 30-year-old also claimed that he was shocked to see longtime rival Justin Gatlin win the US national championships at the age of 35.

Bolt has enjoyed unprecedented success at the Olympics winning the triple-triple in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay. However, he was stripped of his 2008 relay medal after teammate Nesta Carter was found guilty of doping. To go along with his eight Olympic gold medals, Bolt has 11 World Championship golds and a World record in every event he has taken part in.

When asked if he was planning on continuing after the current season, the Jamaican told AFP, "No, I don't think so!

"It's just been a great career, I've really enjoyed the ups and downs, all the experience I've gathered, all I've been through, the happiness and the sadness.

"It's been a wonderful career and I've done everything I've wanted to do and it's coming to an end and I'm fine with it."

After a stirring start to the season in Kingston, Bolt is scheduled to take part in the IAAF World Challenge meet in Ostrava on Wednesday. From there, the legendary sprinter will turn his attention to the Diamond League meet in Monaco and his final World Athletics Championships in London. Even though the Jamaican admitted that it would be an emotional season, he wanted to put on a show for his fans and leave on a high.

"It's an emotional season. I'm looking forward to going out there and putting on a show for the fans for the last time because they look forward to it," Bolt added.

For sure I won't be running the 200m

"Right now personally, I'm just focused on getting through the season. I just like entertaining the crowd. I definitely want to try and enjoy ever minute of it - it won't be the same sat in the stadium.

"The fact that I know it's that last time it will be emotional, just seeing it and feeling, being around people and athletes, sitting in the meal room around everybody, joking and laughing about old times, it'll be emotional."

Bolt, however, ruled himself out of the 200m event in London but added that there was a possibility of him taking part in more events this year.

"For sure I won't be running the 200m" at the worlds, he said. "People keep asking, but no."

"I've discussed with my coach (Glen Mills) what he thinks I should do, whether I end my season after the world championships, we haven't fully made up our mind on what we're doing yet.

"We'll see what happens, I'm not worrying about that until the world championships or at least getting close to it."

Bolt's long time rival, Justin Gatlin, who finished second to the 30-year-old the last three times the duo have met on the big stage, recently won the US national championships (9.95) at the age of 35. The reigning World and Olympic champions said that he was surprised that the American had been able to achieve the feat at his age, adding that he was not taking the challenge lightly.

"I was shocked he actually won, just because how quick young kids were running," Bolt revealed.

"As older athletes in the sport, we have a lot of experience and know how to go through the rounds.

"But I was kind of shocked he came out victorious. It shows that Justin Gatlin is a competitor and he shows year after year that he is not to be taken lightly. I'm looking forward to competition, always."

Sterling or Aguero? Who will score a goal?

Presenting Nostragamus, the first ever prediction game that covers all sports, inlcuding Football. Play the Premier League challenge and win cash prizes daily.

Download the app for FREE and get Rs.20 joining BONUS. Join 30,000 other users who win cash by playing NostraGamus. Click here to download the app for FREE on android!

SHOW COMMENTS