A tribunal of the Pakistan cricket board has rejected Khalid Latif's plea to reduce his five-year ban which was handed by the Anti-Corruption unit of the PCB. He was banned from all forms of cricket by the Board owing to his role in the spot-fixing scandal in the 2017 Pakistan Super League.
The five-year ban was upheld by Justice Fakheer Mohammad Khokhar, an independent adjudicator, on Wednesday. In September 2017, PCB’s Anti Corruption Unit found Latif guilty in playing a role in the spot-fixing scandal in the second edition of the PSL. He found guilty of six breaches of the board’s anti-corruption code of conduct which included a charge of gathering with a suspected bookie. Along with the ban for the five years in all the format, the player was handed a fine of PKR 1 Million.
"Khalid Latif has been found guilty on all charges," PCB legal advisor Taffazul Rizvi said, reported Cricbuzz.
"This is a vindication of what the PCB had been saying. He met bookies twice, and the second time, when he took Sharjeel Khan along with him, provided conclusive proof of his guilt. The PCB does not take pleasure from meting out punishment to any cricketer, but the law must be upheld. We need to rid ourselves of corrupt cricketers like these. I hope all other cricketers learn a lesson from this case. If anyone is even thinking of indulging in corrupt practices, they should banish the thought. And if anyone is illicitly approached, they must report it immediately."
The player didn’t get an opportunity to receive a nod for making a comeback to the game but Justice Khokhar gave him some relief by removing the fine considering Latif’s future.
"I think the reason for the fine being set aside was that with his career over, it would have been difficult for him [to pay it]. Everyone knows the effects a five-year ban can have on someone," Rizvi said.
In the spot-fixing case, along with Latif, Sharjeel Khan has also received a five-year ban for a similar crime and Mohammad Irfan and Mohammad Nawaz
Cricket FootBall Kabaddi