Reports: Selectors work without contracts as uncertainty rises in BCCI

no image
SportsCafe Desk
no image
no photo

The selectors, who have picked the Indian team for the New Zealand T20Is and first two Tests against Sri Lanka, are working without proper contracts now as their earlier contracts haven't been renewed so far. The Indian board will try to find a solution in the upcoming Annual General Meeting.

Recently, the BCCI announced the squad for the upcoming three-match T20I series against New Zealand and Test series against Sri Lanka. However, a report in TOI stated that the selectors - MSK Prasad, Devang Gandhi, and Sarandeep Singh - who picked the squad, did so without contracts with the board. The selectors had signed the contracts for a year last September and sources said their contracts have not been renewed for this year. 

"It is an unusual situation. Technically, there is no document that authorizes these men to select the teams at the moment," a senior board official told TOI on Monday.

The BCCI verbally told the selectors that their contracts could be delayed because of the uncertainty over the annual general meeting ever since the implementation of Lodha reforms became a factor. Indian cricket board’s AGM usually takes place in late September.

"The board managed to give out contracts in time till last year. We are trying to figure it out this year. Generally, these calls are taken at the AGM. Since the AGM is yet to be called, it has to be seen how this problem can be solved," the source said. 

The job of contract renewal is usually done by the office-bearers but with the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators and CEO getting a stronghold in the decision-making process, the battle of egos has created a problem. 

"The current BCCI office-bearers have created a hindrance in implementing the reforms. Had it been done earlier, the AGM could have taken place in time," reasoned the official.

Comments

Leave a comment

0 Comments

read previous‌IPL 2025 | Bumrah’s return delayed for Mumbai Indians next couple of games against Lucknow and Bengaluru
According to a report from ESPNCricinfo, Jasprit Bumrah is set to miss the next couple of games for the Mumbai Indians in the 2025 Indian Premier League. He was supposed to be available from April but has yet to get a fitness clearance from BCCI’s Centre of Excellence in Bengaluru.
If Prithvi Shaw stays focused, he will play for India, believes Dilip Vengsarkarread next
Former India skipper Dilip Vengsarkar believes Prithvi Shaw can play for India if he remains focused and consistent in his game. The Junior Cricketer of the Year awardee has created news this year by breaking numerous records at domestic levels and impressed against New Zealand in warm-up games.
View non-AMP page