Ben Stokes cleared to play England's ODI series against New Zealand

no image
no image

Ben Stokes will finally return to international cricket after he was cleared to play in England’s ODI series against New Zealand that starts on Sunday in Hamilton. The all-rounder had been overlooked by the ECB ever since the Bristol nightclub brawl incident that took place in September last year.

Ben Stokes was charged with affray following the nightclub brawl, which took place after the conclusion of the ODI match between England and West Indies. His teammate Alex Hales was also involved in the incident which left a 27-year-old man with a fractured eye socket.

After almost five months, the England cricketer would make his comeback to the England national team. Three Lions' ODI captain Eoin Morgan, has stated that the 26-year-old was looking good in the nets since he joined the team and would not take too much time to get back into shape.

“He looks in great nick, he’s hit the ground running since he’s been involved and he’s been himself, which is great to see. He might be better for the more games he does play and feel more comfortable coming back… it is his first game in quite a long time,” Morgan told AFP sources.

Since September, Stokes had been suspended by the ECB and he was overlooked during the Ashes series loss and the following ODI series versus Australia, as the incident was taken up by court. Stokes recently pled not guilty in front of a packed room at Bristol Magistrates' Court, which opened up the possibility of a return to the game.

“I think it’s the skill of any professional sportsman… when it comes down to doing your job. It’s quite a nice release, in a way, because you get to focus on one thing instead of wider things that are going on,” skipper Morgan said.

Along with all-rounder Stokes, batsman Joe Root, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes and Jonny Bairstow are also back in the England squad after missing the recent tri-nations Twenty20 series which saw Australia beat New Zealand in the finals.

read previousWill India Women Face Trophy Trouble at Asia Cup? Mohsin Naqvi Issue Threatens to Return
The Women's Asia Cup is all set to take place from 28 August to 13 September. India Women's team stand a high chance of suffering the same fate as the men's did last year. Even after winning the tournament, Mohsin Naqvi didn't hand over the trophy to the men's team.
Unable to give decision on Lodha recommendations within given time, says Sourav Gangulyread next
Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) president Sourav Ganguly said that they would be unable to implement the Lodha recommendations within the given time frame provided. Ganguly added that an additional SGM meeting would be required in order to discuss the fresh terms that the BCCI has put forward.
View non-AMP page